Friday, May 14, 2010

Texas Baptist College Graduation 2010



Well, another year has passed and another Texas Baptist College graduation has gone by.  I keep telling my students that I started college in 1983 and haven't got to leave!
Things were purposefully changed for graduation this year:

  • the ceremony was held in the Elaine Howie dining hall - totally transformed for the evening
  • the ceremony was its own, not a part of the regular Wednesday night Bible study
  • teens and adults only, R.S.V.P.
  • each graduate was given an opportunity to address the audience
Because of the difference of the setting and protocol, the chorale wanted to put a lot of extra effort into the music to help set the atmosphere.  It was not a regular church service and was treated more formally, but we didn't want for the service to be "stuffy" or uncomfortable.  The music program began at 6:30 p.m.
  • string trio - Mrs. Lyons, Miss Jordan, and Miss Fernan - they did a tremendous job playing for 30 minutes
  • TBC Chorale chose three songs with the theme of "Jesus"
    • "Jesus, the One and Only"
    • "Jesus it the Joy of My Salvation"
    • "O, I Want to Know You More"
  • Pastor's sermon - "You Are Short One Hour" (Mt. 26:40) was applicable to ALL who attended
When your songs are about Jesus you can never go wrong!  Praise the Lord, hearts were uplifted and blessed.   I want our graduates to keep those songs in their hearts and memories!


I always feel very hopeful for each of the graduates, especially when I see them walk down the aisle during the processional.  As I watched them throughout the evening with their friends and family and saw the sparkle in their eyes - I have more than hope, I have confidence that they have a good start for success in their Christian lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment