Saturday, May 8, 2010

How'd you do that?


Photo - Mrs. Amy Robinson (teacher) with Alyssa (student)

Experienced musicians have heard this..."How'd you do that?", "God gave you that talent, wish I had some!"  To tell you the truth, it used to bother me.  No matter what your instrument or musical ability, you didn't just wake up one morning able to do what you do.

Vocalists have to WORK at their skills.  Organists have to WORK  at their skills.  Pianists have to WORK at their skills.  Yes, I agree that God has given us the ability and opportunity to LEARN and for that I am very grateful.  I also believe He gave me a desire to do what He wants for me to do for His will in my life.

Would you like to be a "gifted" musician?  I'll give you a "recipe" that I know for sure works for most pianists and musicians who want to improve their skills.

1. Clarify your objective. "It's something I've always wanted to do" is too general.  "I've got to learn how to play this song for the nursing home" is a definite and purposeful goal.  "My Lord deserves the best and I'm going to learn to play for His church" is a more refined goal.
2. Listen.  You cannot rely on what is printed on a page to get the sound you want.  You have to listen to other pianists who are playing the way you want to play.  If you play just what is on the page you may have a tendency to sound like "someone put a nickel in you".  I'm not saying to change the notes, but to pay attention to phrasing, dynamics, expression, and the message of the song.  Play with a passion to get the message of the song across, not just to be accurate, loud, or fast.  Recommended: Rudy Atwood, Marilynn Ham, Shelley Hamilton, Mike Zachary, Amy Robinson, LaShannon Hyder, Alicia de la Rocha, Bradley Kirkpatrick.
3. Feel the music.  Singing does not begin in your mouth, it starts way down deep in your soul, your mind, and then your diaphragm, etc... Piano playing does not start in your fingers, wrists, or elbows, it starts in your soul, your mind, your bones, your muscles, etc... It is an all-over, all-consuming process.  Public speaking, sports, etc.. are the same way.  The best put "all" into it.  If you are stiff, heartless, and tend to be "dry", try listening to great music and doing jumping jacks along with it! Ha! Sounds dumb, but you'll catch it.  My dad used to put on "The Nutcracker" LP and watch us go! It has to be all-consuming and felt throughout your spirit, soul, and body. I Thes. 5:13.
4. Make it a spiritual activity.  Music does not belong to you, just like nature does not belong to you.  It is God's gift to us.  It is a way to express our beings.  Think of it as spiritual and you won't neglect your practice as quickly.  No "labour is in vain" in the Lord.  I want to receive a reward for my music, so I give it to the Lord at every level - practice, practice, practice, performance, and praise.  If you think of it as "vanity" you'll give it up as a sin, it is not a "vain" thing if you approach it as a spiritual activity.  Read I Chronicles 25.
5. Practice scales, minor third arpeggios, Hanon, Czerny, Mozart, Chopin, and Bach on a regular basis.  These "tools" are not the end, they are the "polishers" of technique, expression, and attack.
6. Play the hymnal from cover to cover on a regular basis.
7. Do something different in each hymn on Sunday and Wednesday.  Try at least one new "add-in", "run", or "fill-in".  If it doesn't work, oops, if it does, great!
8. Play in the dark.  Work at playing some songs "by ear".  Every pianist needs to know "Happy Birthday", "Amazing Grace", "Jesus Loves Me", kids' choruses, and "Just As I Am".  I used to turn off the lights and ask my husband to call out song titles, then I'd try to play them!  It brings back many laughable memories.
9. Buy new music.  Save your money, go to the music store and buy something to inspire you to work  harder.  If you hear someone play a song you like, go buy it and learn it yourself.  My mom would always take me to buy music we heard on Sunday and I'd go home and learn it by Wednesday!
10. Pray and depend upon the Holy Spirit.  Each time you sit at a keyboard: Thank the Lord for the opportunity, ask Him to give you strength, tell Him you're depending upon Him, and play for Him.

These points are just the start.  I hope they help a little.  Let me know if you have a suggestion or would like more of these types of pointers.

No comments:

Post a Comment