Monday, May 10, 2010

Peer Pressure and Performance



(Photo: Miss Annie Roche', Texas Baptist College Music Major, freshman - playing "How Great Thou Art", arr. M. Ham)

Right before the Longview Baptist Temple Spring Recital - "Ladies, make sure you wear a modest outfit, no short skirts, loose, and no sandals please!"
Wow! What a difference from the world.  I don't compare "apples to oranges" on a regular basis but I want to address a feeling that God's pianists may face at some point in their journey.  Several times in the past years I have been invited to concerto recitals, graduation recitals, etc... of students who have chosen a different path.  I'm not judging their choice, it's up to them and more power to them.  The thing I can't let it do is affect my path.
In the world, musical talent is the only criteria.  Treatment of others, godly character, morals, church attendance is not what they're about.  The Christian school students who lack in their devotion to God may sometimes end up on a stage with a standing ovation.  Our goal as Christians should be to glorify God.  Music is just one area where we can do this. We should glorify God in the way we treat our families and others, the way we conduct ourselves, the way we treat God's church, and the way we obey God's commands.
If you are a dedicated, godly musician, who loves God with all of your heart, and seeks to please Him, I would like to give you a "standing ovation", a "rave review", a "front page article".  I've had to work through feelings of failure, inadequacy, jealousy, and sheer amazement - I'm human, okay? ha!  Finally, at one point I realized that my rewards are not here, if this is a spiritual job, I'll have spiritual rewards, not earthly ones.
If you've ever felt this way, I hope this helps.  If not, you're doing great! or maybe you haven't crossed this bridge yet.  Whenever peer pressure or performance pressure strikes, go to the Lord.  You don't want your piano playing or music to be about your ability, but about His ability!

I Corinthians 9:24 - Know ye not that they which run in a race run allbut one 
receiveth the prize
So runthat ye may obtain25And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things
Now they do it to obtain a 
corruptible crownbut we an incorruptible

1 comment: