Friday, June 11, 2010

"Beating the Blahs"

Got the "blahs"?  For us, school has been out for three weeks.  I had a BIG plan of seventy-five things I wanted to accomplish this summer - want to know how many I've checked off of the list, let me see...four!  Just reading that list makes me feel "blah", I don't know what I was drinking when I typed that up, it must have been a surge of adrenaline and caffeine combined!
In the music ministry it is hard to hide a case of the "blahs", it becomes so obvious to those who work with you.  Symptoms may include...
1. Cancelled rehearsals
2. Tardiness to rehearsals or church services
3. Lack of energy and/or enthusiasm
4. Grumpiness or shortness of temper.
5. A "whatever" type of attitude
6. Having to drink two cups of coffee with three advils before going to church
7. Lack of creativity with the music arrangements, accompaniment, or your clothing!
8. Having to talk yourself into practicing or showing interest.
9. Being able to leave a stack of new music untouched for days...
10. Changing the subject when group members want to have new outfits.

How did I come up with this list?  I live this list during certain times of the year!  Life happens when you're busy making a schedule or making plans.  Sometimes we just have to put one foot in front of the other and keep going through the "blahs" until the Lord steps in and gives us a personal revival.  If you know the symptoms of  your "blahness" you can remedy this feeling.  Here are some things that work for me.
1. Stick with the rehearsal schedule, no matter what.  Look at the calendar first and make sure you don't schedule rehearsals on holidays!
2. Go early to rehearsal!  Get yourself a treat - coffee, a coke, etc...  Get the music ready and greet each member as they arrive.
3. Take Vitamin B-12 or a B complex vitamin every day.  I use Super Subingual B-12 by Trivita.  It's not bi-lingual...  you place it under your tongue and let it dissolve, I can tell a difference if I don't take it! If you decide to try it, please give my name as a reference!  Jennifer Petticoffer, customer #13387870.  They send prizes! ha!
4. Grumpiness - if you get to rehearsal early and have time to practice alone or play and sing alone you'll be in a better mood.  For after service rehearsals, lay out all music to practice before the service so you can just walk into the room and procede with rehearsal.
5. A "whatever" type of attitude can be caused by being distracted or a general lack of thinking about your ministry.  Take time every day to think about your work.  Pray for each musician every week, pray for the groups, even pray for the P.A. man!  Revival will happen if you do that!
6. Maybe you need to go to bed earlier on Saturday evening and take a short nap on Sunday afternoon...I do! Spend more time in your Bible reading.  Have a soul winning goal of talking to a definite number of people every week and winning at least one person a week to the Lord.  Invest in the church members in ways that are not music-related - send get well cards, birthday cards, go to baby showers, bridal showers, visit sick church members in the hospital, etc...
7. Force yourself to do new songs, look for new music, and change your wardrobe colors every once in a while.  Mrs. Amy Robinson notices that whenever I'm sick I do a lot of music research and song assignments.  This is totally true!  I have stacks of music catalogs or music books to research that I don't have time for on a normal basis, but when I'm sick and bored stiff, I sit with stacks of music and work!  No interruptions except the thermometer, tylenol, and pepto!
8. Make a practice (no pun intended) to practice before eating a particular meal.  Food is a great motivator!
9. If you can leave new music untouched - call 9-1-1!  I walk in with new music and go directly to the piano.   It's important to get your "appetite" back for learning, you just have to force yourself to practice and open a new book every once in a while!
10. If singers want a new outfit - that is big!  Revival is just around the corner.  Be enthusiastic and realize that this is a commitment and expense that shows devotion to the Lord!  Be grateful!
I hope you can beat those "blahs", if you think of another way, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment