Sunday, July 4, 2010

Have Fun While You Serve


Today is Sunday, July 4, 2010.  Maybe you thought, "What a drag, having church on the Fourth of July holiday." I honestly can say that today was an enjoyable day.  The preaching was a blessing and the atmosphere was one of thankfulness and just being happy to be an American.  I didn't have to sit outdoors swatting flies or mosquitoes!!
Because of just finishing the Teen Convention and a change in our church meetings schedule we haven't quite got our rehearsals back into the normal routine. Add vacations, sickness, and one musician called in to nursing duty and that can also cause a challenge.  In spite of these "setbacks" God blessed today and I honestly can say that I enjoyed being at church.
Was everything perfect?  Well, I don't believe so, but I do believe we did our absolute best for our Lord and that the result fit into the entire scheme of His will.
I had originally planned for the Joy Trio and Daughters to sing "Red, White, and Blue", but oral surgery of one singer prevented that plan.  Then our Strength and Beauty Ensemble was supposed to do a new patriotic song, but a deacon's meeting and a busy teen convention schedule derailed that one.   My daughter, Victoria, has been out of the special music mode for several weeks due to being a new mother and was feeling good enough this weekend to practice and sing, so I said, "Praise the Lord, let's sing on Sunday morning!"  Chandler Tolley sang a beautiful solo, as planned - "It's Time to Pray".  The Men of Victory Quartet was ready for Sunday night but our tenor was called in to work at the last minute and our men's quartet became a mixed quartet when Mrs. Sandy Londeau filled in!
I had the privilege of playing a piano trio with Amy Robinson and Nicole Koehn.  We played "Stars and Stripes Forever" and I had a great time, even though I was sitting in the middle and the skinny person should be in the middle!  I didn't have a worry with those ladies on each side of me doing all of the hard stuff!
When the problems come, just take them as a challenge, do what you can with what you have, and leave the work in the Lord's hands.  You'll have fun while you serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment