Saturday, January 4, 2014

Church Music 2014 simplified



Hello fellow church musician(s),
I'm not sure if I'm writing for anyone else to read or just for my benefit.  Either way, I've had a year off from the blog in exchange for using my pen and notebook.  The Lord has done a work in me as I'm sure He has in you this past year.  I am praising Him for all of His wonderful goodness and faithfulness!  I've posted an old photo from 1983 from an old-fashioned service.  Things were simpler then but I didn't think so! ha! (Jennifer Petticoffer/S. Petticoffer/J. Smith)
My theme or guiding word for this year is "Simplify".  I have just started the process and want this to trickle into all of the group rehearsals and scheduling.  When I say "simplify" I'm not meaning going backwards in any way, but moving forward in an efficient and streamlined manner.
The Lord gave me this thought the other day, almost ridiculously simple.  There are fifty-two Sundays and fifty-three Wednesdays in 2014.  That means 104 Sunday specials and 53 Wednesday specials for a total of 157 special numbers.  If we have thirty-two active soloists, groups, jr. choirs, and teen groups that means each of them would be able to sing about 5 times per year.  Some large groups, like jr. choirs, would still sing monthly.
If every soloist, duet, trio, quartet, and ensemble knows that they will only be singing a certain amount of times per year, that gives them a definite idea of the work and preparation time they have for each special number.  Of course, if you only have a total of ten soloists and groups they would need to each prepare for sixteen special numbers, but they would have a definite number of specials.
Knowing that number took a huge load off of my mental "shoulders".  I'm planning on walking into the next ensemble rehearsal with a folder or book for each musician.  On the cover will be the year "2014" and inside will be five songs plus a few old standbys for back-ups and a Christmas and Patriotic song.  Knowing that these are our nine rehearsal songs will greatly minimize stress, decision-making, and being unprepared for the services.  The best songs of the year will be used for the revival and conferences.
Just think, by the end of the year the songs should all be memorized, wow!  By June, I plan to add a section marked "2015", replacing the songs we have already sung and also to keep rehearsals exciting.
This may be "old hat" for some of you but I'm very excited about doing this.  I'll be busy the next few weeks but the year will be charted and hopefully we'll be able to sing and "play skillfully with a loud noise" for our Lord.  By the way, we came up with a new idea last year and I'll let tell you about it next Saturday.

Psalm 100
A Psalm of praise.
1      Make a joyful noise unto the LORDall ye lands.
2      Serve the LORD with gladnesscome before his presence with singing.
3      Know ye that the LORD he is Godit is he that hath made usand not we ourselveswe are his peopleand the sheep of his pasture.
4      Enter into his gates with thanksgivingand into his courts with praisebe thankful unto himand bless his name.
5      For the LORD is goodhis mercy is everlastingand his truth endureth to all generations.

1 comment: